By Christina | August 25, 2007
It continues to amaze me. People in the quest for the perfect body, most definition, largest muscle mass, or whatever the term du jour is are literally dying to look good and achieve the perfect body. How many supplements need to be pulled of shelves before we start to listen? From vitamins to…muscle growing and sports enhancing drugs, people keep taking these substances believing the claims they read because the manufacturer of the product put out the data. Why is America obsessed with the need to poison themselves? Why don’t people wake up and realize that even when they think they know what they are looking for, manufacturer’s change the name of the drug on the label so as to confuse the consumer. It’s a scary reality that to make money these companies will conduct an extensive marketing campaign just when the FDA steps in and bans a substance. Let’s look at a few of the supplements that have already either been pulled off the market or have some negative stigma associated with them. I have a compiled a brief list just to show how products we trust or trusted have now been banned:
- Human Growth Hormone – hGH – Touted as the fountain of youth it should also be known is linked to irregular heart rhythm, diabetes, joint and facial deformities, and a shut down of the pituitary gland.
- 1,4 Butandediol – BD – is in products such as Liquid Gold and Amino Flex and has side effects such as nausea, lack of consciousness and combative behavior. It is also now being labeled as buylene glycol and sucol-B.
- Vitamin A – toxicity leads to growth retardation, blurred vision, enlarged spleen and liver and even death.
- Steroids – used to improve performance and muscularity can lead to blod clots, stroke, liver damage, sleep disorders, baldness, acne, anger disorders, and liver cancer to name a few.
- Ephedra – Used for weight loss it may lead to hives, psychosis, itching, allergies anxiety, blood vessel restriction, and death.
Seriously, look at these side effects. Is a better body worth it? The funny thing is everytime there is a new “gotta have it” product on the market people are willing to take it before waiting for the FDA to conclude whether or not it is safe. People readily believe if it is packaged and sold at your local health food store, it is safe. Or they go online and do research… wow, that surely means it is safe, manucturers never make false statements for monetary gain, said the cigarette producing mega-billion dollar producing giants!
Why not just eat sensibly, listen to your body and get the proper levels of hydration and rest?