Been putting off that storage project? Schedule a date on your calendar, put on your Saturday worst, and get ready to get dirty. A simple system can make the dream of a de-cluttered home an organized reality.
Do you have a room in your home that you've been meaning to un-clutter for awhile? Make that dream a reality with this simple system.
- Set a date. Look at your calendar and find a day and time that you have nothing else planned, preferably the day before garbage pick-up day. Make that day the day you're going to un-clutter a particular room and dedicate at least an hour for this task.
- Dress down. When the un-cluttering day arrives, put on comfortable clothes that you're not concerned about messing up. You're probably going to be spending a lot of time sitting on the floor, bending down and stretching.
- Be prepared. Have a full box of extra large, heavy-duty trash bags on hand. Use sticky notes or masking tape and label four of those bags: Trash, Donate, Sell, Keep.
- One by one. Start picking up each item in the room, one by one. Put that item in one of the bags. Note: Your 'Keep' bag should be the least full. Do this until everything in the room is in one of these bags--except for the very large items, of course.
- Bring out the trash. Immediately put that trash bag outside for the trash collectors, or at minimum put the bag in your garage until trash day.
- Give to charity. Next, grab your 'Donation' bag and drive it on over to your favorite charity. Or, call your favorite charity and have them pick up the bag from you.
- Your trash may be someone's treasure. Determine the method you're going to use to get rid of the items in your 'Sell' bag. If you're planning to use a consignment shop, bring your items to that shop today. If you're going to sell them at your next rummage sale, put the bag in an out-of- the-way area of your basement, attic or garage. Set a definite date for your next rummage sale, so these items aren't sitting in this bag for years. If you plan to sell on eBay, begin taking photos and writing descriptions for each item. Then, get these items online and ready to be sold.
- Find a place for your keepers. The final step of this process is to find an appropriate home for the things you are keeping. If they don't belong in this room, redirect them to the appropriate room. If they do belong in this room, display them, shelve them or enclose them in a storage unit.
- Don't sweat it. If you can't un-clutter the entire room in one day, that's fine. Just schedule another definite date and time on your calendar and keep going until you're done.
- Reward yourself. Finally, when you are done, do something nice for yourself. Great job!