- A Woman's Health Checklist
- Beginner Yoga Class Checklist
- The Abdominal Exercises For Men Checklist
- Top 10 Checklist For Losing Belly Fat
- Spiritual Health Checklist
| Home Tools and Checklists Fitness & Wellness Checklist - 8 Symptoms of Insulin Resistance
Fitness & WellnessChecklist - 8 Symptoms of Insulin Resistance
There are many people who hear the words Insulin Resistance and think diabetes. While the two are related, they are definitely not the same. Although Insulin Resistance is not diabetes, it is a condition that can lead to diabetes.
It is important to note the symptoms of Insulin Resistance so that one is armed with the knowledge needed just in case they or someone they know may have the condition.
1. Exhaustion - The most common symptom of Insulin Resistance is that it wears people out, with exhaustion being common. While there are some who are tired morning or afternoon, there are others with IR who are exhausted throughout the day.
2. Increased Blood Pressure - Due to the high levels of insulin that are circulating in the body, another symptom can be increased blood pressure. The fact is that most people with hypertension have too much insulin in their system.
3. Foggy Brain, Poor Memory - The fatigue associated with insulin resistance is not just physical. Therefore another symptom is brain fogginess in the forms of poor memory, inability to think creatively, forgetting what you were about to do, learning disabilities, and others.
4. Hypoglycemia, Low Blood Sugar - While low blood sugar is normal for most when meals are not eaten, prolonged periods of "hypoglycemia" is not a normal thing and can be a symptom of Insulin Resistance.
5. Bloating or Gas - Intestinal bloating or gas is produced from carbs in the diet. For many, excessive amounts of gas are a sign that one may have insulin resistance.
6. Sleepy After Eating a Meal - If one gets sleepy immediately after easting a meal containing 20-30% of carbohydrates that too can be a sign of the condition.
7. Large Buttocks, Large Abdomen - Prominent buttocks in women or a large abdomen in men is an indication of too much fat and are symptoms of Insulin Resistance.
8. Depression - An issue with depression is yet another symptom.
Now while the symptoms above are common to many other illnesses and conditions, it is important to note them if you suspect you are insulin resistant. Diabetes should not be taken lightly and neither should the possibility of being insulin resistant. At your next physical, or before, if the symptoms are prevalent, ask your doctor to test you for Insulin Resistance. This is called being proactive in your approach to your health. Don't take no for an answer.
The most important thing to remember is the a proper nutritional diet of whole foods, exercise, and care of self is a good way to stay healthy and to even rid your body of conditions like Insulin Resistance. Take your health in your hands.