- Why Getting Bedroom Closet Organizers is A Good Idea
- Organize a Clothes Swap
- Drawer Organizers
- How To Pick A Closet Organization System
- Organizing Your Bedroom Closet
| Home Organize Your Home The Organized Closet A Simple Guide for Weeding Out Your Clothes Closet
ClosetA Simple Guide for Weeding Out Your Clothes Closet
Is your closet an unmanageable mess? In nine steps, weed out old clothes that are torn, ripped, stained, too small, too large, out of fashion or just not you any more. Get rid of them - and get some more space.
1. It's too big or too small. Get it out of your closet and donate it so that someone who DOES fit into it can wear it. Even if you're trying to lose or gain a few pounds, it's not worth keeping it. Live in the 'now', and once you reach your goal, you can always reward yourself by shopping for a few new outfits to fit your new figure.
2. You don't like it. This is a no-brainer. Get rid of it today.
3. It's stained. If you really like the garment, but can't wear it because it's stained, spend some time this week getting that stain washed out. If you can't get the stain out, bring the garment to your local dry cleaner. If they can't get the stain out, and there's no other way for you to hide the stain, such as a patch or accessory, then bite the bullet and part with this piece of clothing.
4. It's ripped or torn, a hem needs to be sewn or it needs to be taken in to fit. Either repair it yourself, have someone else repair it or get rid of it if the price of the repair is not worth it. Make one of these choices today, rather than allowing this damaged item to take up precious space in your closet.
5. It's a wear-once outfit. If you have a wedding dress, prom dress, tuxedo or other wear-once dress in your closet, you have an emotional decision to make. If you can't bear to part with these items because they bring back happy memories, then you may have to just keep them. However, if you have photographs of yourself in the wear-once outfit and that's good enough for you, consider parting with it so that someone else can make his or her own good memories in that outfit. On the other hand, if they bring back bad memories, by all means get rid of them. Bring them to a consignment shop, sell them at your next garage sale or donate them.
6. It's a special occasion outfit. If you have an outfit that you'll only wear if you plan to attend a special occasion, like a wedding or baptism, keep it. But only if a) you love it, b) it fits, c) it's in good condition. If you never or rarely attend a special occasion, why not set a special date with your spouse or a friend and go out on your own special occasion dinner?
7. It may come back in fashion. This is a bad reason to keep an outfit. It could take years before clothes come back in fashion (if they ever do). What if there's a theme party someday? You can likely recreate the look by visiting a few local thrift shops.
8. You don't have anything to match it. Perhaps you have a shirt that you love, but can't seem to find pants to match it--or vice versa. Make it a point to go shopping this weekend in search of that perfect match. Remember, neutral colors such as black, brown, beige and gray go well with most other colors. You might even want to bring the piece you have to the store with you and have a sales clerk help you find a good match. Try the mall, so you can get assistance from several different stores before you make your choice. You'll be thrilled that you can finally wear that shirt that's been sitting in your closet!
9. You never wear it simply because you have too much. If your closet is packed with clothes and you have outfits you never wear simply because of the high volume, you may want to consider putting some of those clothes into storage so that your closet doesn't feel so stuffed and cramped. One thing you definitely should not do is go clothes shopping. Don't add anything else. Another possibility, if it's within your budget, is to have a closet system installed, such as California Closets. These systems help you to organize and separate your clothes well so you can see everything you have at a glance.
by Maria Gracia - Get Organized Now! http://www.getorganizednow.com FREE Get Organized Now! Idea-Pak and E-zine, filled with tips and ideas to help you organize your home, your office and your life, at the Get Organized Now! Web site.