- These Aren't Your Mother's Label Makers
- Making Meals With Slow Cookers
- Get Dinner on the Table in a Flash
- Make a Personal Recipe Binder
- Software For Meal Planning
| Home Food & Nutrition The Organized Meal 5 Steps to Running an Efficient Kitchen
Meal Planning5 Steps to Running an Efficient Kitchen
Planning, prepping, cleaning. Three easy steps can make your kitchen a more organized and efficient place. With the family jotting grocery items or menu favorites, efficiency is a cinch.
2) Do a weekly menu plan. Shop once a week. This saves time and money. If you are afraid that you can’t predict what you will be hungry for on Thursday, remember that you can always make substitutions. This plan saves you from making extra stops at the grocery store. It also gives you a sense of control and freedom from the pressure of trying to make these decisions at dinner time.
3) Cook ahead and freeze. Double a recipe and freeze one. If you are making a pan of lasagna, why not make two and freeze one? It’s so nice to have a few “back-up meals” waiting in the freezer.
4) Do advanced prep work. Perform simple tasks like chopping vegetables or browning hamburger when you have a few spare minutes. This speeds up the process when you are assembling dinner.
5) Clean as you go. Keep a sink full of hot sudsy water and wash dishes while you cook. Staying ahead of the mess makes cleaning up after dinner a breeze. Plus your kitchen doesn’t look like a disaster zone.
Karen Henke is the owner of Come2Order in Minneapolis, MN. Visit www.come2order2day.com and request a free Time-Savers Kit which is loaded with time-saving tips and services. And sign up for a subscription to the free monthly newsletter.